St. Petri Church
It's a three- ship brick church from the end of the 14 th century. The church is situated on the highest place of the old town where a Slavonic temple stood before Christianising of the people 1128. Before St. Petri had been built there was a wooden church there. The Gothic building has two chapels at the north side and one staple at the south side. The front with its main portal is flanked by to towers.
St. Petri burnt when Wolgast was burnt in the Nordic Wars 1713. Between 1716 and 1728 the church was rebuilt and got a baroque tower hood. On the 9 th April 1920 the church tower burnt again because of a lighting. The inside of the church was hit, too and the fire destroyed precious cultural goods. A year later the tower of the Church got the still existing flat tent roof.
Epitaph of Philipp I, Duke of Pomerania- Wolgast
1560 The brass epitaph was dedicated to their father by his two sons. It is designed in Italian renaissance style. It is 4 metres high and 1,20 metres broad. It consists of a main field, two upper parts and a lower part. The two inscriptions are in Latin and name title and name of the duke and you can read a decoration. The coat of arms of Wolff Hilger from Freiberg is on the upper part. He was one of the most well- known bell founder of his time and manufactured the commemorative plaque.
Tomb of the Pomerian dukes
The dukes tomb is under the altar room. Nine zinc coffins are buried here: Philipp I (+ 1560), his daughter Princess Amalie (+1580). His widow Princess Maria (+ 1583), Duke Ernst Ludwig (+ 1592), his daughter Princess Hedwig Maria ( +1606), the last duke of Pomerania- Wolgast Duke Philipp Julius ( + 1625), the widow Princess Sophis Hedwig ( + 1631) and two children- a son of the Margrave Baden- Durlach Friedrich Kasimir III ( + 1644) and his sister Eleonore ( +1647)
1688 all coffins except the childrens ones were damaged and robbed by grave robbers.
Today the damages are examined and the coffins are restored. Interested tourists have the possibility to watch the restoring through a glass- wall.
The Death- Dance
A cycle of picture around 1700.
This cycle of 22 pictures was painted by Adrian Diedrich Bentschneider. It is a copy of Holbeins Death Dance.
But style and arrangement of the pictures show its own characteristics. The pictures are very lively and show a grim humour.
The biggest stone can be found in the foundation of the St. Petri on the left next to the portal. It shows a figure that stands on a ball. That should be Christ sitting enthroned on the globe. The smaller stone is in the eastern part of the church inside. The figure on this stone is the Slavonic god Cerovit the patron of Wolgasts inhabitants. There is a cross above the shown figure with a lance and it testifies to the chritianization of this region.
Chapel St. Gertrud
This twelve- cornered building of the end of the 14 th century is an outstanding symbol of the North- German brick Gothic. First the chapel was a hospital chapel outside the town walls and till 1668 a preachers place.
Then it was used as funeral church and a still existing cemetery developed around it. There is a twelve- cornered tower in the middle of the tiled tent roof. Especially worth seeing is the star vault inside. Many craftsigns were found on a pier of the vault during the restoring which give evidence for wandering craftsmen staying at this chapel.
St. Juergen Chapel
15 th century, hospital church
The simple brick building was erected outside the town walls. 1710 it became a hospital because plaque had broken out and later a funeral church of the suburban people.
The building has a saddleback roof and an arch pitched roof portal on the west front. A half- open bell tower decorates the top the gable.
Church Heart Jesus
This building is the only Catholic church in Wolgast and was built for Polish cutter outside the town walls.
Buildings- worth seeing in Wolgast
5 Burgstraße (Castlestreet)
- Bourgeois house, 17 th century
This building is among the few ones that were not burnt 1713. It is a two- storied building and it i s well- known for its swung gable, devided into three parts.
- Trade bourgeois house around 1753
It's an exclusive building because itŽ s situated at the former connections between castle and church. The vaulted cellar is the oldest part of the house and dates from the 16 th century. The late- baroque bourgeois house with its three floors was built in 1753. Originally the house was opened by a round arched portal. The attic roof has four stores. In the middle of the 19 th century the facade got its todays look and the entrance was moved to the left.
- Trade bourgeois house around 1800
This three- storied massive building was erected by Philipp Otto Runges brother as a residential and business building. The skylights show the former using of the attic, the princes mint was accommodated here. The oldest part of the house are the two attic floors. The entrance is a round arched portal with stairs in front. A fireplace can be found in the hall with tiles made in Stralsund. There is a little summerhouse in the courtyard erected around 1800. This summerhouse is part of Runges painting The sons homecoming.
8 Burgstraße (Castelstreet)
Residential building, middle of the 18 th century
The cellar of this two- storied building is the oldest part and has vaults. 1787 the Runge family moved here after becoming citizens of Wolgast. Here Runge created a painting with view at St. Petri Church in the winter.
Hafenstraße ( Portstreet)
Granary, around 1800
This building is to be found near the town port, it was used for storage and drying of grain. It has two lofts and a lift in the direction towards the water.
Half- timbered brick building
This is one of the most important buildings at the town port because it was the biggest granary of the north German coast at this time. ( 80 metres long, 18 metres wide)
The building owns three storeys and three lofts and is erected on 99 oak stakes because of the marshy ground.
Middle of the 19 th century
This building was erected as a poorhouse, it has two storeys and a lot of ornamentations.
Captains house, around 1800
1864 Willy Stöwer the later navy painter of emperor Wilhelm II was born here.
Residential and business building
It is a two storied building erected in the late Baroque style. Especially the entrance with its two decorated wings is worth seeing. 1777 Philipp Otto Runge the creator of the Romanticism was born here. This building was used as a residential building till 1992.
Since 1997 a town museum has been located here.
7 Lange Straße (Long Street)
Chemists shop, around 1750
Since erecting of the two- storied building a chemists shop has been inside. 1844- 1867 Theodor Mason lived here a naturalist and scientist who wrote the first Flora of New Vorpommern and the Isles of Rügen and Usedom. Later he became a famous Pomerian professor and taught at Greifswald university.
14 Lange Straße (Long Street)
Residential building, around 1600
This building is the most beautiful one in town. Still today you can find rests of stylistic elements of the late Renaissance at the gable. There are two granaries in the wide saddle roof. The ground floor and the outside view changed when a shop was installed into the building in the 15 th century.
19 Lange Straße ( Long Street)
Trade bourgeois building, beginning of the 19 th century. The building has two storeys and a saddle roof where originally two granaries were to be found. The original two- winged door is very impressive.
20 Lange Straße ( Long Street)
This building was probably made from two single residential building. A transport winch can be seen inside still today. It helped to transport the grain to the granaries. Most of the buildings owning granaries had such a winch.
15 th century
Only a few parts of the building were kept after the fires 1512,1625,1713.
1999 restoration and reconstruction showed that both sides of the town hall were kept, they show Gothic stylistic elements like the pointed arched windows. The cellar is again the oldest part of the building. After the last town fire the destroyed parts- the main front with its clock and tower rider- were erected in Baroque style 1718- 1724.
6 Rathausplatz (Town Hall Square )
It is a two- storied half timbered house with a Dutch roof construction. Because of the untypical roof and the quadratic ground plan the buildings got the nickname Coffeemill. It is one of the five buildings that got over the town fire 1713. This time the first floor became a flat for the owner and his family. Around 1838 the restaurant To the Golden Grape was opened. Later the building was only used for living in. Today here is a museum- first only on the ground floor and now on all floors and the cellar, too.
14 th century
Parts of the mediaeval town reinforcement can only be found at the federal highway B 111 from Oberwallstreet to Kronwiekstreet and at the Lustwall. The wall at the federal highway is 20 meters long and 4 meters high. There is a rest of a wall tower, too. When it was erected the wall was 10 metres high an 4 metres wide. The three town gates were taken away to prevent traffic obstructions.